Search:
Churches & Monasteries \ Augusta Victoria Hospital, East Jerusalem
24 July 2009
Augusta Victoria is a 161-bed hospital on Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, financed by the Lutheran World Federation and the United Nations Refugee Works Administration. Augusta Victoria was built in 1907 as a center for the German Protestant community in Ottoman Palestine. The complex, completed in 1910, included the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension with a 65-meter belltower and a hospice for Christian pilgrims. During World War II, it was converted into a hospital by the British. The complex was named for Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein, wife of German Kaiser Wilhelm II, who visited Jerusalem in 1898. The architect, Robert Leibnitz, was inspired by German palaces, such as the German Hohenzollern.
Photographer: © Valery Dembitsky Date: 24.07.2009 Photo number: 10143 Views: 14k
Churches & Monasteries \ Augusta Victoria Hospital, East Jerusalem
24 July 2009
Augusta Victoria is a 161-bed hospital on Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, financed by the Lutheran World Federation and the United Nations Refugee Works Administration. Augusta Victoria was built in 1907 as a center for the German Protestant community in Ottoman Palestine. The complex, completed in 1910, included the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension with a 65-meter belltower and a hospice for Christian pilgrims. During World War II, it was converted into a hospital by the British. The complex was named for Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein, wife of German Kaiser Wilhelm II, who visited Jerusalem in 1898. The architect, Robert Leibnitz, was inspired by German palaces, such as the German Hohenzollern.
Photographer: © Valery Dembitsky Date: 24.07.2009 Photo number: 10142 Views: 15k
Churches & Monasteries \ Augusta Victoria Hospital, East Jerusalem
24 July 2009
Augusta Victoria is a 161-bed hospital on Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, financed by the Lutheran World Federation and the United Nations Refugee Works Administration. Augusta Victoria was built in 1907 as a center for the German Protestant community in Ottoman Palestine. The complex, completed in 1910, included the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension with a 65-meter belltower and a hospice for Christian pilgrims. During World War II, it was converted into a hospital by the British. The complex was named for Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein, wife of German Kaiser Wilhelm II, who visited Jerusalem in 1898. The architect, Robert Leibnitz, was inspired by German palaces, such as the German Hohenzollern.
Photographer: © Valery Dembitsky Date: 24.07.2009 Photo number: 10141 Views: 16k
Professor Robert Aumann
Photographer: © Jae-Hyoung Ho Date: 11.04.2008 Photo number: 7970 Views: 20k